A Site for Photographers by Photographers

Community > Forums > photo.net > Lighting > Lightform light panels

Lightform light panels

Jason Crader , Nov 26, 2000; 07:25 p.m.

I've searched this site and others for an answer to the following question, to no avail. I'm just beginning to get involved in doing outdoor portraits. After reading through the information on this site and other books about outdoor portrait photography, I've decided to control natural light with something other than a flash. I want to modify outdoor light through the use of reflectors and light panels.

I've read a lot of good things about Lightform light panels but I can't find any pictures or descriptions of this equipment. I want to buy two Lightform frames and black fabric to go over these frames to create an L-shpaed black obstruction that will create a shadow or keep light off an area where I don't want it.

The question I have is about these frames. Do the frames snap together or do you have to buy some accessories to accomplish this? I want to create an upsidedown L-shape to block light. If the frames don't snap together, what accessories do I need to buy to accomplish this? Also, how can I get this contraption to stand freely on its own? Do I need to buy a light stand to attach to the frame to hold it up, or some other type of legs to hold it? Any responses are welcome and thanks ahead of time.


Jim Sanders , Nov 26, 2000; 11:03 p.m.

They make accessory clips that will allow you to clip two (or more) panels to each other. They also have clips that will allow you to attach panels to light stands, and a set of legs to allow the panels to stand free form.

Go to www.bogenphoto.com and search through the products, which will get you to the lightform section. After you've looked around, go to their literature request section and fill out a request. They will mail you a brochure about the light form system.

Good stuff. I've got a P-22 panel with translucent, translucent wind, and black wind fabrics. The 'wind' versions have covered cut outs that allow wind to pass through. Not a 100% solution to windy days, but they help.

Good luck.

Tom Meyer , Nov 30, 2000; 03:16 p.m.

You can also make your own fabric panels to fit, with elastic in the corners. A scrim that will turn bright sun into bright overcast might make a good side panel to your black "L".. t

Peter Geller , Mar 01, 2001; 09:04 a.m.

The solution to your answer is www.sunbounce.com - there you find the best reflector and diffuser system available with many photos showing you how to improve your outdoor lighting scills.

sunny regards, Peter

... Timber ... , Apr 17, 2003; 09:06 p.m.

Light panels of plastic tubing can be custom made by you with a simple visit to the plumbing store: ask for PVC pipe. You can use FH1018 or #FH1052 solid gray/silver mylar to reflect or block light. Look up www.ahh.biz or do a search on www.google.com for "#FH1018 mylar". You will then be able to make any size unit you need. You could simply clip it together with super clamps or clamps from "Mathews" or Bogen. You could make a partial house. You could x-frame a side prop. You can use sandbags or iron to keep it down.Timber Borcherding timberborcherding

Back to top

Notify me of Responses