A Site for Photographers by Photographers

Community > Forums > photo.net > Digital Imaging Software > Is there any tool in photoshop...

Is there any tool in photoshop called gradient blur tool?

jugnu khosa , Aug 29, 2000; 09:19 p.m.

Hi everybody, Thanks a lot for your help in the past. My question today is about Photoshop, is their any tool or method to create a gradient blur in the image. To further explain my question I'll say that when I shoot my subject at 200 mm, the background gets blurred but (it gets blurred in increments). But when I try to get that blur effect in Photoshop using gaussian blur the background gets blurred on the whole. ( it's as blur 5 feet behind the subject as it is 20 feet behind the subject). So how to create the effect I want. Hope I made my point clear. Please help. Thanks in advance


    1   |   2     Next    Last

null void , Aug 29, 2000; 10:19 p.m.

if i recall, you can select an area that is bordered on three sides by the actual edge of the image (i.e. the top and upper portion of the sides) then use the feather command with a very high value, and it will feather only the bottom edge of the selection... this may not be what your looking for, but i thought i'd mention it.


Chris Gillis , Aug 29, 2000; 10:29 p.m.

For the task you describe, I would suggest expanding the selection and applying the same amount of blur as you go. The first selection will get the most; subsequent blur will be less giving a progressive blur you describe.

there is no gradient blur I know of. There is a motino blur, but that is not the same thig by any means.

chuong doan , Aug 29, 2000; 10:32 p.m.

Your just going to have to create multiple layers and use masks: do you have a sample jpg? for example, you can copy the photo onto 5 layers, apply 5 different levels of blur and then create masks that reveal the appropriate level of blur for the areas you want.

Mark M , Aug 30, 2000; 12:41 a.m.

Whoa guys, you are making this too complicated. The trick here is to make a gradient selection and then applying the gausian blur or whatever filter to that selection. I find this easiest to do by first clicking on the channels pallete and asking for a new chanell. Then take the gradient tool and make a gradient that corresponds to how you want the blur to behave. For instance if you want more blur on the right and get less blurry going left you would want a gradient fil that starts white on the right and slowly goes to black on the left. Now you load that channel as a selection. On the mac you just command click on the channel icon in the floating palette but you can also go through the menu and select "load channel" and tell it the name of the channell. Now you should have a selection that goes from more selected to less selected in the same proportions as the gradient you made. Apply the blur and it should work. The trick will be getting the gradient to the correct shape for you particular image. Good Luck.


Emre Safak , Aug 30, 2000; 01:28 a.m.

Yes there is!

<p>Thanks for the good question! You'll be pleased to know that Photoshop has all the tools you need to accomplish exactly the effect you are after.</p>

<p>Here is a hands-on demonstration, using an image from the <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo-of-the-week/">photo of the week gallery</a>. I hope Mr. Borisko won't take offense if I decide to use his image as a specimen! Let's say we want to draw attention to Mother Teresa's face. Here we go...</p>

<p> <ol> <li>Load Photoshop. You will need version 3.0 or above. <li>Duplicate the layer (it's on the Layer menu) <li>Blur the duplicated layer using your method of choice (the example image was Gaussian blurred) <li>While the blurred layer is selected, go to the Layer menu, then to Add Layer Mask, then to Reveal All. If your version of Photoshop does not have this option on the menu, you can create a layer mask from the Layers/Channels/Paths toolbar. If you want to do it that way, click the "Add Layer Mask" button on the bottom-left of the Layers toolbar. <li>One way or another, you should now have a blurred image with a layer mask. You can tell if you have been successful if there are two adjacent thumbnails (not counting the original layer) in the layers menu. The layer mask is the one on the right. <li>Now make the layer mask active by clicking on the layer mask. If you can already guess why we created the mask, give yourself a pat on the back! <li>Make the foreground color black, and the background color white. It is probably the opposite right now, so you can achieve this effect conveniently by clicking on the double arrow "Switch Foreground and Background Color". All these are near the bottom of the Tools toolbar. <li>The quintessential part: we are going to use the gradient tool. The radial gradient tool is probably what you are after, and it is near the bottom of the Tools toolbar on my Photoshop. <li><em>Without letting go</em>, click on the part of the image that you want to be sharpest, <li>drag until you have the desired amount of DOF, and finally let go of the mouse. You will probably need to use the undo facility to get it "just right". </ol> </p>

<p>If all this seems complicated, it's only because I've tried to make it foolproof. A competent user need only read the last three steps. The whole affair takes about 10 seconds.</p>

<p> <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo.tcl?photo_id=49619">Before...</a><br> After (see attachment): </p>

Mother Teresa, waiting for something to happen...

M.A. Crepeau , Aug 30, 2000; 01:32 a.m.

While some dislike plug-in filters for their own reasons, when I see one that works great I use it. Take a close look at Andromeda's Vari-Focus filter. It has countless types of blur and each factor (depth, scale, amount) is able to be adjusted. It also gives you a preview so you are able to get it just right before applying. This is one of my favorites so I'm glad to pass on this info! Go to: http://www.andromeda.com/

James Lipman , Aug 30, 2000; 05:47 a.m.

Emre - you might want to crop a tiny ickle bit from around the picture of Mother Theresa (Great pic, BTW) to keep the edges of the print sharp and defined.

The gradient filter had blurred the edges of the print at the bottom, but not the top, and it looks a little strange.

Josh Slocum , Aug 30, 2000; 08:35 a.m.

I thought of something interesting while reading this thread: Has anyone thought of the fact that Photoshop, and other means of electronic manipulation. . .have engendered an entire generation of retouchers and illustrators from people who used to label themselves "photographer?" I don't mean this in a pejorative sense; I just wanted to point out how this one computer program has shifted so many people away from the advice to "get it in the negative." I don't know that it's good or bad. . .though I do sometimes wonder if some don't spend a lot more time doing what they could have done in camera. I know it's a bit off topic. . but I just had to make the observation.

Emre Safak , Aug 30, 2000; 11:02 a.m.

Not having the same exacting standards as you, James, I missed the blurred edges! The explanation is simple, though: the original image has a white border on the bottom and the left. This is probably because the image was scanned from a print. If you want to crop the edges, here is an easy way:

  1. Select the blurred layer from the layers palette.
  2. Select->All (Select Canvas, Ctrl+A).
  3. Select->Modify->Border. Enter the amount you wish to crop.
  4. Edit->Clear (Del).

As for Josh's comment, I completely agree. Let me share my opinion. The primary reason I took up amateur photography is because I thought it would be good creative outlet. I'm an electrical engineer so I spend all my with computers. The last thing I want to do is spend all my time in Photoshop cloning this or blurring that -- I want to be outdoors, where a photographer belongs! Not that I dislike Photoshop (I like it all too much), but I'm a proponent of the "get it right in the negative" approach.

    1   |   2     Next    Last

Back to top

Notify me of Responses