A Site for Photographers by Photographers

Community > Forums > photo.net > Wedding > Rubber Stamps for Front of...

Rubber Stamps for Front of Pictures

Evrim Icoz , Aug 08, 2001; 01:40 p.m.

I am looking for rubber stamp/ink combination for putting my name and info at the front of the pictures/proofs. With the introduction of the enlargement stations from prints, I want to make sure that my prints will not be blown up without my permission. Most of the info talks about putting it at the back of the prints.

What kind of rubber stamp to get? Also ink? Are those easy to remove? Alternatives?


John Sonewald , Aug 08, 2001; 03:57 p.m.

Porters (www.porters.com) sells stamps, ink, ink solvent, and ink pads for this purpose. The real secret is the ink, which is super fast drying. You use it with standard style (NOT self-inking) stamps, and a stamp pad that is purchased un-inked. The ink can be removed without a trace from the photos with the solvent. Because the ink is so fast drying, the ink pad tends to dry while you are using it. Adding solvent revives it and is better than adding more ink every time.

Phil K , Aug 08, 2001; 10:14 p.m.

If the point is to prevent others from blowing up your pictures or scanning them then why is it necessary for the stamp to be removable. I think you can order a custom stamp with your name phone, email, etc. from your neighbourhood arts & crafts or Grand&Toy store. Here in HK we can just get these made by men with stalls in street corners.

Ted Roberts , Aug 09, 2001; 09:03 a.m.

The company you want to contact is Superior Rubber Stamp and Seal, Inc...They make custom copyright stamps which are either pre-inked stamps or rubber stamps designed especially for prints on photos which dries in 15 seconds. Contact them and they will explain which type of stamp will be best for your needs. I agree with the previous posts in that you do not want this stamp to be removable...www.superiorrubberstamp.com - 800-227-0329Ted

s c o tt h i c ks , Aug 09, 2001; 12:43 p.m.

What about using pretextured paper. I have heard that the texture makes scanning difficult if not impossible. I have also heard that there are tools that you can use to texture the paper yourself. I'm not much help here in the "experience" catagory - but maybe an avenue to explore.

--- --- , Aug 09, 2001; 02:09 p.m.

I used to work in a portrait studio where we used a round stamp (like the one mentioned above) with the copyright symbol and studio name. We wold stamp this on proofs before sending them out. We also used a texture press, with various texture patterns available, and that increased the difficulty in illicit scanning. In addition, a copyright information sheet was included to alert people as to the laws regarding copyrights and images.

For final images, a texture was also used, and a gold stamp with the studio name was imprinted in the lower corner. Any proofs purchased had the ink stamp removed with solvent, and where subsequently stamped with the gold logo as well.

Note: the gold stamp is removable with solvent as well, and the solvent will remove the image from dyesub prints.

... Timber ... , Sep 15, 2003; 09:08 p.m.

Given that there are scanners for $50, consider giving up on the protection try and simply charge the client up front for the whole deal. Times have changed: recognize this.

Timber Borcherding timberborcherding

Jim Appleyard , Feb 18, 2004; 10:56 a.m.

I've found that if people want to scan your work, they really don't care how it comes out, as long as they don't have to pay the photographer and after all, scanning is "free". The ink must be a type that is non-removable. I had a student who tried to erase the copyright stamp on the back of a photo so she could take is somewhere and have it copied. Her husband is not just a doctor, he's a specialist and they live in one of the nicest neighborhoods in my town. All that to save a couple of bucks!

Back to top

Notify me of Responses