A Site for Photographers by Photographers

Community > Forums > Beginner Photography Questions > converting soligor lens from...

converting soligor lens from nikon to canon eos mount

wm s. , Feb 11, 2012; 09:19 a.m.

I've read that it is possible to use a 95-310mm soligor lens bought for a 35mm Nikon FE years ago on a Canon EOS dslr by adding an adaptor ring to the lens. Can someone shed more light on this? Obviously, new to all this, Bill


Stephen Lewis , Feb 11, 2012; 10:47 a.m.

Canon EOS has a shorter flange to sensor distance than Nikon, so you will only be able to do close up work, not anything in focus at a distance.

Mark Drutz , Feb 11, 2012; 11:21 a.m.

That is such an old lens and zoom lenses have improved so much that I think it's better to replace it than put money into it. Soligor hasn't been making lenses since the 70's as I remember. I had a Soligor 90-230 (I believe). It wasn't a good lens then. It's an antique now.

If price is an issue, there are good used lenses in the 70-300 and 55-250 range that are very inexpensive and far far better. Try keh.com, B&H, and Adorama.

Frank Skomial , Feb 11, 2012; 11:55 a.m.


As Stephen says, Canon has shorter flange distance, and thanks to this, you can use some inexpensive Canon-to-Nikon adapter, placed/mounted in between, and spacing out a bit the Nikon lens, and allowing focusing at infinity.

See if Fotodiox adapter would work with your Nikon lens, on your old Canon camera.

Ariel S , Feb 11, 2012; 01:55 p.m.

Stephen, you have it backwards. Canon EOS having a shorter register distance means that infinity will work fine. If you try to use a lens designed for a shorter flange distance on a longer-registered camera, you get the performance you described, losing infinity focus. The easy way to remember it is by thinking about extension tubes: you move the lens further than it is supposed to be from the sensor, and that provides you with close-up capability. Moving a lens closer makes you able to focus to infinity, but it hurts your close-focus capability. However, because an adapter takes up a finite amount of space, you don't have either of these issues (assuming the adapter is well-built.
William, it's not a conversion, it's an adaptation. You buy a little piece of metal that Frank mentioned. It has a Canon lens mount on the back, and a Nikon camera mount on the front. It is the correct thickness to preserve lens function. However, as Mark said, Soligor wasn't an especially worthy lens brand back then, and it sure hasn't gotten any better now. If you look on ebay and other selling sites, you'll see these lens sell for less than $10. It's not worth adapting. Even the crappy, widely panned cheapest 75-300mm Canon lens has better performance than this. I suppose you're trying to get lens performance on a budget, but at least consider stepping up to the Canon 70-300mm; it's respectable enough.

Walter Degroot , Feb 11, 2012; 05:38 p.m.

If the lens is a T4 ( changable mount) indicted by a prominent bump on the side, you can convert it by purchasing another bount.
BUT NOT an eos mount. but some other mount that the eos will accept and permit indinity focus.
yoiu will, of course loose auto focus and aut diaphragm.
and auto exposure will work differently.
if the mount is not interchangavle, the above restrictions apply.
Soligor sold both ficed and interchangavbele ( t4) mounts.
but only for cameras that existed 30+ years ago.
there are many who are buying and selling lenses, perhaps a local dealer or KEH could let you trade the lens for a compatible lens
of better still find a Older Nikon owner and give them the lens.

Stephen Lewis , Feb 11, 2012; 05:52 p.m.

Yeah, sorry I misread the opening line....I thought he wanted to use a Canon mount on the Nikon.

Back to top

Notify me of Responses