A Site for Photographers by Photographers

The pen to sign

D notLast , Oct 26, 2005; 07:56 p.m.

What kind of pen is good to sign on the pictures (fb or rc)? I tried the permanet mark and pigment liner, either worked. They come off easily by rubbing on the paper. Thanks.


Keith Dunlop , Oct 26, 2005; 10:08 p.m.

I never sign the actual print. I use a floating mount and sign on the mat board, just below the print surface (between the print and overmat edge), with a #2 pencil.

danny liao , Oct 26, 2005; 10:41 p.m.

Pencils are the best. Pen will fade and not archival.

craig h , Oct 26, 2005; 11:35 p.m.

Always sign on the print image where possible. It is more secure then signing on the white margin, which can be cut off. Your prints will probably outlast you so the author of the work becomes important to photohistorians.

Never use the type of pens mentioned. A soft grade graphite pencil is acceptable. However, pen is preferable. Use only old style archival inks and nib pen. Though now, some archival felt markers are available. These inks are lightfast and will not harm your print.

rich ullsmith , Oct 27, 2005; 04:14 a.m.

Sorry, I disagree with Craig, if you sign an image you will either mar it or if you sign on a border it can be trimmed away.

I donated a reject print recently to a community gallery, and all I had was a 3/8" border to write, this is a gift to quack quack quack, etc. Chances are that will get trimmed off. If other owners of tihis 1 of 4 print see that, I will be in trouble. But I doubt they will.

A permanent, irreversible mount on mat board with a pencil signature below the print, just how I do it from now on. Ink is really not a good idea, IMO, for fiber. For resin coat, I don't know.

David Crossley/Crossley Photography , Oct 27, 2005; 11:30 a.m.

I agree with Craig. All my prints are signed and numbered on the print. All my prints are sold with matts.

Micron has an archival (black extremely fine)pen that i have been using of late "Pigma Micron 005 #1 archival ink". On color prints i sign utilizing archival gold or silver inks (depending on background) applied with fine nibbed "dip pens"....

David Crossley/Crossley Photography....

aslan Ivo , Oct 27, 2005; 04:56 p.m.

To be completely sure, stamp the back of your print, using archival ink.

Sp ... , Oct 28, 2005; 01:27 p.m.

Do those of you who actually sign the print really mean sign the back of the print?

Back to top

Notify me of Responses