A Site for Photographers by Photographers

Featured Equipment Deals

Creating Digital Frames and Borders Read More

Creating Digital Frames and Borders

Learn from a photo.net expert how to create digital frames and borders for your digital photography. Includes example images and illustrations.

Latest Equipment Articles

Sun Position Tracking Apps Read More

Sun Position Tracking Apps

These 5 apps, ranging in price from free to $8.99, are our top picks for tracking sun (and moon) light. Also ranging in complexity, some help you keep tabs on the ideal lighting of the day while...

Latest Learning Articles

25 Exhilarating Photos of Airplanes Read More

25 Exhilarating Photos of Airplanes

By land and by air, photo.net members have captured stunning shots of airplanes at soaring heights, performing incredible stunts, and in breathtaking locales.

tintype suppliers

Beck Long , Jun 12, 2006; 08:49 p.m.

Other than rockaloid does anyone know where to get 4 x 5 inch tintype plates? Can you make your own by purchasing the supplies at a hardware store? What other types of metal can you use? I was told _not_ to use metal flashing (metal that comes in a roll). Thanks, b


Conrad Hoffman , Jun 12, 2006; 11:05 p.m.

Go here- http://www.geocities.com/diannebest/index.html and maybe send her an email.

Jochen Schrey , Jun 13, 2006; 06:43 a.m.

Just about metal plates: If you happen to manage the painting and coating of aluminium, making friends with a offset printshop to get those printing plates they couldn't use after copying is a good idea. (The big ones are 0.7mm thick) Most probably they won't cut them on their paper cutter even if you wait until the knife is in bad need of resharpening, but you never know. Using a inexpensive handoperated cutter seems a option to me, as long as it can handle the size (maybe almost 1m) of the plates.

Are there any informations and recepies for emulsions etc. available somewhere? - I think I should get started with tintypes but living in Europe doesn't make purchases from US supliers attractive.

Beck Long , Jun 13, 2006; 07:40 p.m.

I am using the "tintype parlor" kit from rockaloid.com. They are running low on 4 x 5 plates right now, but should have more in next week. A kit is $25 to $80 (USA) plus shipping. I am just starting with this process; after some more experimentation, I will post some pictures and description of what worked for me. I will use my pinhole camera to make "in camera" tintypes, and digital positives in the darkroom.

Scott Kuchta , Jun 27, 2008; 04:16 p.m.

I knew a guy who used a pinhole camera to take "tinype" photos. They came out well. He explained the process to me - he bought aluminum flashing, painted them black, and then put the photo chemicals on them. So it sounds like he was making his own "rockaloids". He said they were very cheap to make and he also said he could reuse them if the photo didn't come out right. My question is this: What happens after you expose a tin using this dry plate method? I'm new to this, in fact just becoming intrested, and I just don't understand. Can someone explain the process to me?

JD Rose (Glen Canyon) , Sep 21, 2010; 08:05 a.m.

The .025 aluminum plates that are used for engraving trophy plaques work well as a base for "tintypes".

Back to top

Notify me of Responses