A Site for Photographers by Photographers

Featured Equipment Deals

The 2013 Holiday Gift Guide Read More

The 2013 Holiday Gift Guide

Happy Holidays! You will definitely find at least one gift on this list for a photographer (or for your wish list), including accessories that turn your iphone into a serious piece of equipment to...

Latest Equipment Articles

Lensbaby Spark Review Read More

Lensbaby Spark Review

This inexpensive gadget does indeed spark your creativity. Read on to see how.

Latest Learning Articles

26 Creative Photos of Water Drops Read More

26 Creative Photos of Water Drops

These absolutely amazing macro photographs feature a tiny elemental thing that can hold a lot of mystery. Take a moment to enjoy these photographs of water drops.

Screw in Darkroon Safelight Bulbs

William Kornrich , Sep 16, 2007; 01:52 p.m.

Do regular "screw in" red safelight bulbs exist for use in a normal outlet....


Louie Powell , Sep 16, 2007; 01:54 p.m.


When I first started in photography, I used a 7.5w red bulb with a standard "edison" base as a safelight. You can still buy them in well equipped hardware stores (but probably not Home Despot or its equivalents).

Franklin H , Sep 16, 2007; 06:04 p.m.

Yes, Adorama sells both red and amber that will fit in a standard light socket.

Robert Vonk , Sep 17, 2007; 03:25 a.m.

Philips PF712 (red) and I thought PF710 for green (15W) is still available with Edison E27 fitting.

Tim Gray , Sep 17, 2007; 09:10 a.m.

I got the red Optiled festival bulb on this page. It's and LED and been a pleasure.


Peter Galuszewski , Sep 17, 2007; 04:31 p.m.

I have used a variety of bulbs, most of them frosted bulbs I painted with high-temp red paint. I tested them - no fogging ever occured, and I have had no issues due to the painting. They work so well I make them for friends. Recently, I found a pile of red 7.5W bulbs labelled "safety lights" in a local dollar store - for a $1 a piece, it was not worth my time to buy actual bulbs, paint and then do the work - so I bought their whole stock. Again, no foggin, no problems. I don`t know where Henry`s (Canadian photo chain) gets off charging $26+ for a safelight bulb...

Craig Shearman , Sep 21, 2007; 11:30 a.m.

"You can still buy them in well equipped hardware stores" -- I would not trust a red bulb bought at a hardware store to be a safelight. Safelights are very specific colors, usually actually an amber instead of red, and just being red bulb doesn't cut it. If Peter or others have gotten lucky, that's great. But as they have, I would definitely test before turning one on and opening a box of paper. But beyond that, with darkroom equipment going begging, why not just pick up a real safelight on ebay or elsewhere? Kodak and others made models that would screw directly into a light socket. You can also take one that has a cord, mount it next to the light socket, screw an adaptor (75 cents at home depot) into the socket and then plug it in.

Back to top

Notify me of Responses