A Site for Photographers by Photographers

How do you hang a window matted print?

Kd Reinhold , Apr 08, 2008; 01:21 p.m.

I'm entering a contest on Friday and they say that they need the prints to be window matted and ready to hang. Is there some sort of equipment I should purchase to make it hangable?


    1   |   2     Next    Last

Bruce Cahn , Apr 08, 2008; 01:23 p.m.

a frame

Jack Tripper , Apr 08, 2008; 02:52 p.m.


Yeah that is what a frame does. When they say a, "window," it just means a mat with a hole cut in it so you can see your prints, it surrounds your print. The print is sandwiched in between a mat window and a backing, like foamcore or another piece of mat. The mat is then inserted into a frame behind a piece of glass. The frame is where the hardware attaches for a hanging wire. You're looking at $50 to have someone else do it.

Your photo contest is just saying they want it mounted, matted, and framed.

john cowie , Apr 08, 2008; 06:31 p.m.

Bruce - Nice, intelligent answer. I thought the object of these forums was to help people.

John Elder , Apr 08, 2008; 06:48 p.m.

Hey, Bruce gave the correct answer.

David Dorcich , Apr 08, 2008; 07:52 p.m.

When i go to a restaurant and i don't like the atmosphere, the wait staff is rude and there is nothing appealing on the menu i usually just leave.

Bruce Cahn , Apr 09, 2008; 12:47 a.m.

Jack: Then why am I not being paid, dude? A person asks a question, you give the answer , you still get unpleasant comments. May as well keep quiet. Figure it out for yourselves!

Lex Jenkins , Apr 09, 2008; 01:19 a.m.

Folks, let's please try to stay focused on the topic and not drift off into personal issues and disagreements.

Kd, I'm trying to find a well illustrated website that shows the currently acceptable alternative to traditional dry mounting. It's relatively easy to do at home and the materials are readily available from most arts and crafts stores. When I've found a good set of illustrations I'll add another post.

The technique involves using a type of archival tape. The cheapest and most readily available is paper; some artists and conservationists prefer the rice or wheat type. The tape is dampened with water, applied between the rear of the photo and mounting board. Usually it's attached only at the top of the photo, which would normally allow the bottom half to essentially flap freely.

The window overmat can be prepared similarly and fastened to the mounting board.

The three-sheet sandwich - mount board, photo and window overmat - are then inserted into a frame designed for photographs. It's essential that the frame be designed for photographs, because the glass must not press directly against the front surface of the photo or window mat.

This air space is partly for aesthetic reasons, partly for practical reasons. When the front surface of an overmat or photo touches the glass it simply doesn't look good. You've probably seen casually framed photos literally stuck to the glass. Also, the airspace allows ambient humidity to evaporate. There are other factors but these are the main two.

If you do a web search using a search terms such as: photo conservation archival museum hinge tape mount ... you should find some illustrations. It's easier to do than to describe!

Lex Jenkins , Apr 09, 2008; 01:26 a.m.

Okay, here's one website with illustrations for this process. There are several others.


Hope this helps.

Jack Tripper , Apr 09, 2008; 01:32 a.m.

well I got two questions for you lex, what is wrong with dry mount pressing? I have done it to countless fiber-based papers and it looks beautiful. and the other question is, how are you supposed to flatten a FB print if you're not allowed to flatten it anymore?

They make a 100% cotton rag foamcore

    1   |   2     Next    Last

Back to top

Notify me of Responses