A Site for Photographers by Photographers

Community > Forums > Canon EOS > EOS Lenses > I need a sigma lens adapter

Featured Equipment Deals

Shooting Modes within the DSLR (Video Tutorial) Read More

Shooting Modes within the DSLR (Video Tutorial)

This video tutorial will introduce you to the various shooting modes from basic to advanced. It will explain what each mode does and when is best to use them so you can achieve your desired photo...

Latest Equipment Articles

From Light to Ink: An Exhibit Using Canon's imagePROGRAF printers Read More

From Light to Ink: An Exhibit Using Canon's imagePROGRAF printers

"From Light to Ink" featured the work of Canon Inspirers and contest winners, all printed using Canon's imagePROGRAF printers. The gallery show revolved around the discussion of printing photographs...

Latest Learning Articles

How to Get the Most Out of a Photography Workshop Read More

How to Get the Most Out of a Photography Workshop

Attending a photography workshop can be a great way to take your images to the next level, but it can also be a big investment in time, money, and travel. By following these 7 simple tips, you can...

I need a sigma lens adapter

Adam Duffy , Jul 09, 2010; 02:42 p.m.

I have a T2I and I bought this lens off a guy Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro DF
What adapter is there that I can get to use this lens?

Thanks in advance


James (Jim) Johnson , Jul 09, 2010; 02:50 p.m.

Does the Sigma lens have a Canon EF mount?

If so, then I don't think you need anything!

Alan Bryant , Jul 09, 2010; 02:50 p.m.

Is it an EOS mount? If so, you don't need an adapter - just put in on the camera and it will work.

If it isn't an EOS mount, you could probably find an adapter; but realistically your best option is to sell it and buy one made for EOS...

Ben S , Jul 09, 2010; 03:02 p.m.

Adapters exist, but using one will more than likely turn it into a FTM lens. If the lens doesn't have its own aperture control, you're limited to devices like the Novoflex ring, which costs around $270.

You should always check to make sure you're buying the correct versions of Sigma and Tamron lenses.

JDM von Weinberg , Jul 09, 2010; 03:17 p.m.

By correct, Ben means EOS EF or EF-S compatible products, of course.
Contemporary lenses of some mounts can be put on a Canon EOS camera with an adapter, but you will not have any automatic anything, so the adapter route only makes sense for older all-manual lenses. Even then, it's for people who like fooling around with old lenses, not as a regular lens on your camera for day-to-day photography.

Puppy Face , Jul 09, 2010; 04:15 p.m.

Maybe he needs a ROM update...

JDM von Weinberg , Jul 09, 2010; 06:45 p.m.

That could be of course, but it would need to be a pretty old lens. I think too much time has gone by for Sigma to offer "rechipping" any more. If this is the problem, it never hurts to ask them, of course.

Hal Drallmeyer , Jul 09, 2010; 06:55 p.m.

If your Sigma has a Canon EF(s) mount it will work, no adapter needed. If not you could get an adapter on ebay but I recommend selling the lens and buying the Canon EF(s) version instead. This way you might be able to roll the profit from selling into your new version rather that having to deal with incompatibility issues.

Mark O'Brien , Jul 10, 2010; 04:22 p.m.

I can only assume you bought a lens that's not an EOS mount. Since the lens is a recent model, it's going to be electronic aperture control if it's for a Nikon, but you don't say what type of camera it's for. An adapter won't be of a lot of help if you can't change the aperture manually. Sell it and buy a lens with the right mount - Canon EF or EFS.
According to Sigma's website: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/24-70mm-f28-ex-dg-macro-sigma

Back to top

Notify me of Responses