A Site for Photographers by Photographers

Community > Forums > Casual Photo Conversations > How to convert a large Jpeg to...

Featured Equipment Deals

Ten Steps to Get Creative & Authentic Family Photographs Read More

Ten Steps to Get Creative & Authentic Family Photographs

Photographer Stacy Bostrom shares ten tips to make your family photography more creative by capturing the beautiful imperfection of life.

Latest Equipment Articles

The Week in Photography News Read More

The Week in Photography News

February 21-27, 2015: Hear the latest goings-on in the photography world, from product releases to event and campaign announcements and more.

Latest Learning Articles

Teaching with the Nikon School: An Interview with Photographer and Instructor Reed Hoffman Read More

Teaching with the Nikon School: An Interview with Photographer and Instructor Reed Hoffman

An instructor with the Nikon School since 2002, Reed Hoffman speaks with photo.net about his love for both photography and teaching, and what makes the Nikon School a valuable resource for...

How to convert a large Jpeg to a small Jpeg where the client can see it on their computer without photoshop

Amy R. , Oct 24, 2007; 09:26 p.m.

OK, so I did a shoot recently with my Canon 5D - RAW and after I processed the images to JPEGs they are 36MB each. I have to give my client all the images on DVD, however I do not want to give 36MB images because then they will be able to make quality prints off of the DVD, which I do not want.

I guess I would like to give the client images around 6MB, if possible. Is it possible to do this without using a program like Photoshop Elements, as the client will not be able to open them if they do not have PS elements on their computer.

Is this possible at all?


    1   |   2     Next    Last

Mendel Leisk , Oct 24, 2007; 09:27 p.m.

Try Irfanview, ACDsee.

Leszek Scholz , Oct 24, 2007; 09:31 p.m.

Are you using Photoshop ? If yes, then Save for Web - and it will give you the option to set image size in pixels. Set the width (or length) to 1000 pixels or so - and you will end up with image 500K in size, or some such.

Shun Cheung , Oct 24, 2007; 09:49 p.m.

One can potentially make very high-quality prints from 6M JPEG files. For viewing on the computer, a small JPEG that is 700 pixels across is sufficient and they can be within 100K bytes in size.

You can do that in PhotoShop and resize the images.

Matthew Currie , Oct 24, 2007; 10:00 p.m.

I second Irfanview. Very quick, easy and free.

Amy R. , Oct 24, 2007; 10:09 p.m.

Thanks for your feedback! 2 things - 1. if I go with photoshop elements and resize the images as you said should I save them under the "save as" option? 2. Also, if the client does not have photoshop elements on their computer will they be able to view the images that I resize in photoshop elements?

Michael R. Freeman , Oct 24, 2007; 10:21 p.m.

Use the "Save for Web ..." option of PS Elements. That will save the image as a jpg that can be viewed on ANY computer (they don't need PSE), and you can also resize the image at the same time.

Michael Notar , Oct 24, 2007; 10:36 p.m.

shoot raw +jpg in camera. separate on the computer.

Michael R. Freeman , Oct 24, 2007; 10:38 p.m.

Like this ...

Save for Web...

Jeff Higdon , Oct 24, 2007; 10:51 p.m.

Microsoft has a free program under its Powertoys link. Go to the following link, scroll down the right side of the screen and click on the imageresize program. Once it is installed, all you do is right click on a file or a series of files and choose "resize pictures" then you choose small, medium, or handheld PC size (large is fine for emails)and it will save the file or files under a new name which is the same name as it was before plus the word small, medium,large etc. in parens. Very easy.


    1   |   2     Next    Last

Back to top

Notify me of Responses