A Site for Photographers by Photographers

Community > Forums > Mirrorless Digital Cameras > Nikon > Nikon D70 - No External Flash...

Nikon D70 - No External Flash Sync?

Michael King , Mar 08, 2004; 10:21 a.m.

I'm new to portrait photography, and am shopping for a digital SLR. I was looking at the Nikon D70, but it appears that the specs state that it doesn't have an external flash sync? Does this mean I can only use a single flash in the hot shoe on top of the camera? I feel like I don't want to limit myself to that, since I'm interested in dviersifying my photography into areas such as portraits and weddings.



    1   |   2     Next    Last

James Castagno , Mar 08, 2004; 10:35 a.m.

I took a look at the D70 specs and it appears that it does not have the flexibilty of using off camera flash or studio strobes.

Shourya Ray , Mar 08, 2004; 11:12 a.m.

You can buy a cheap Hotshoe-to-PC adapter that plugs into the hotshoe and gives you a PC connection for studio lights.

You can pick up a cheap one at almost any pro store.

B&H only has one expensive model but if you search for "hotshoe to pc adapter" you will find many out there.

You don't have to buy a name brand either. They all work.

Shourya Ray , Mar 08, 2004; 11:14 a.m.

I took a look at the D70 specs and it appears that it does not have the flexibilty of using off camera flash or studio strobes.

Not true. The iTTL pop-up flash can indeed control off camera flashes (like SB-600 or SB-800) wirelessly in TTL or you can always use the old-fashioned SC-17 (SC-29 now?) cables for off-camera flashes.

As I mentioned in the above posting, a simple hotshoe-to-pc adapter allows use of studio strobe systems

Frederic Lepage , Mar 08, 2004; 01:17 p.m.

I had the D70 in my hands two days ago.

No external connection, so a hot shoe adapter is necessary.


Ellis Vener , Mar 08, 2004; 02:24 p.m.

You need a hot shoe adapter with a PC (no I am not talking about a personal computer) sync port. Both Wein and Nikon make one. Costs about $20-40.00 as I best recollect.

You could also trigger a studio type flash using a remote system like the LPA design Pocketwizard. Pocketwizard recievers are now being built into many flash generators and monolights from Balcar, Profoto, Dyna-Lite , Norman, and possibly others. if you use a Sekonic L-358, L-558 or L-608 meter you can adda pocketwizard transmitter module into the meter for about $25.00 and you will be completely sync cord free. This would make shooting portraits and weddings a lot less hassle and completely isolate the camera from any possibility of damage from sync voltage that is too high. (Most Nikons are rated for a safe sync voltage of 250V, but I haven't tested a D70 yet.)

Peter Phan , Mar 08, 2004; 06:28 p.m.

No different from the D100. The D100 didn't have one either.

David DeBalko , Mar 08, 2004; 07:10 p.m.

one advantage to a external pc connector-if the pc connection ever gets messed up-bent, throw it out buy a new one

Joseph Wisniewski , Mar 09, 2004; 02:48 p.m.

Use the built in flash on the D70 to trigger your studio flashes.

The built in flash of a D70 can be set to manual mode at 1/16 power. At this level, it won't have a noticible effect on the D70 battery life, it will keep up with the 3 frame/sec shooting rate of a D70 (if your studio flashes will), and it won't show up in pictures since it's 1/1000 the power of your studio flash output. In manual mode, there is no preflash, so it won't trigger the studio strobes "early".

I'm amazed that people get upset because the camera doesn't force you to trip on a stinking cord!

Kenneth Morel , Mar 28, 2004; 11:01 a.m.

There is one availble at: www.Go4DC.com
Check it out!

From go4dc.com

    1   |   2     Next    Last

Back to top

Notify me of Responses