A Site for Photographers by Photographers

Community > Forums > Digital Darkroom > Imaging Techniques>Other > Digital photo borders that...

Featured Equipment Deals

Portrait Photography - Part I (Video Tutorial) Read More

Portrait Photography - Part I (Video Tutorial)

Learn the basics of Portrait Photography, specifically the ideal equipment, composition considerations, and location settings for this type of photography.

Latest Equipment Articles

From Light to Ink: An Exhibit Using Canon's imagePROGRAF printers Read More

From Light to Ink: An Exhibit Using Canon's imagePROGRAF printers

"From Light to Ink" featured the work of Canon Inspirers and contest winners, all printed using Canon's imagePROGRAF printers. The gallery show revolved around the discussion of printing photographs...

Latest Learning Articles

Getting It Right in the Camera: The Imagination Game, Part 3 Read More

Getting It Right in the Camera: The Imagination Game, Part 3

Getting photographs right in the camera is a combination of using your imagination, creativity, art, and technique. In Part 3 of this three part series, we focus on shooting strategy and the role of...

Digital photo borders that look like frame mats

Dan Pate , Feb 18, 2005; 10:00 a.m.

I have seen numerous digital photos posted here that have borders added to them that look like a mat that one would see in a framed print. I know how to add a simple single color border in PhotoShop. I am curious to know how to get the multi-color/multi-layer look that I am seeing added to other peoples work.


Beau Hooker , Feb 18, 2005; 10:12 a.m.

Hi Dan, Can you post an example or a link to an example?

Emre Safak , Feb 18, 2005; 12:27 p.m.

Use the "Canvas Size" command with the "Relative" option.

John Bright , Feb 18, 2005; 01:47 p.m.

Dan. There's a nice pre-installed action in PS7 called 'Drop Frame' that will probably give you the effect you require. It puts a shadow around two sides of the picture giving the impression of two levels. Use this action after puting a thin black line around the photo first.

If this action is not visible, click on the small black arrow in the top right hand corner of the action pallet and highlite 'Frames'. This will open the set. Then scroll down to 'Drop Frame' and off you go.

John Bright , Feb 18, 2005; 01:57 p.m.

Dan. I've just had a quick look in PS and I see that the correct full name for the action is 'Drop Shadow Frame'

Eric Friedemann , Feb 18, 2005; 02:20 p.m.

.[. Z , Feb 18, 2005; 08:57 p.m.

Those frames are hideous.

anna f , Feb 19, 2005; 01:48 a.m.

This site


has loads of good actions including a range of frames and matts.

Earl Calderwood , Feb 19, 2005; 10:27 a.m.

Ditto, those frams are hidious, ugly and detract from the photo.

Guy Scrivner , Mar 02, 2005; 12:25 p.m.

I use framing on my prints on PN. They are big and black with my name prominantly displayed. Why do I use them? I use them because I want to establish my identity and to discourage their unauthorized use elsewhere.

I do not see this as a problem and do not understand why others do either. After all, when you look at any image on a computer screen it is surrounded by all that Microsoft stuff. I simply ignore the framing knowing full well that it is not a part of the image. I hope that others understand that in the "real world" they would never be displayed with this frame. And the world goes on...

Back to top

Notify me of Responses