A Site for Photographers by Photographers

Community > Forums > Digital Darkroom > How do you transfer your...

Featured Equipment Deals

Processing Capabilities with RAW (Video Tutorial) Read More

Processing Capabilities with RAW (Video Tutorial)

In this week's video tutorial you will learn about the various benefits of processing your RAW files in an editing program. Paired with the advantages of shooting in manual mode, this important step...

Latest Equipment Articles

From Light to Ink: An Exhibit Using Canon's imagePROGRAF printers Read More

From Light to Ink: An Exhibit Using Canon's imagePROGRAF printers

"From Light to Ink" featured the work of Canon Inspirers and contest winners, all printed using Canon's imagePROGRAF printers. The gallery show revolved around the discussion of printing photographs...

Latest Learning Articles

How to Get the Most Out of a Photography Workshop Read More

How to Get the Most Out of a Photography Workshop

Attending a photography workshop can be a great way to take your images to the next level, but it can also be a big investment in time, money, and travel. By following these 7 simple tips, you can...

How do you transfer your images from your DSLR to computer?

Phineas Tarbolde , Mar 19, 2011; 10:04 a.m.

I have been using a Fujifinepix S3 Pro. In order to minimize handling of the CF or SD card, I have been using the USB cable to upload images to my computer. But today, the connection port at the camera end (behind the rubber cover) failed. I am a very careful user, and was very surprised at how flimsy the connector was. In fact the part actually pushed through and "fell" inside the body and is now rattling inside the camera (I hope it doesnt short circuit something other components). Otherwise the camera is in full working order. I am now limited to transferring images by using a card reader or a using the fire wire cable.
Does anyone have any thought on how best to transferring/uploading images while minimizing risk to camera/memory card or digital files?


    1   |   2     Next    Last

Curt Weinhold , Mar 19, 2011; 10:12 a.m.

Buy a card reader which (all) have a USB connector. Place card in reader, connect reader via USB to computer. Much better then connecting camera. When finished uploading, reinsert card into camera & format card.

Howard M , Mar 19, 2011; 10:20 a.m.

+1 on card reader. I have the Sandisk USB but if you have a Firewire port, consider that for more speed.

and be careful re-inserting the card back into the camera. if you're careless, you can bend the internal pin and then you're in for a repair job.

Alan Olander , Mar 19, 2011; 10:38 a.m.

There is always wear and tear on some component no matter how you transfer images, as you've found out. Use a card reader and just be careful removing and inserting the card.

Edward Ingold , Mar 19, 2011; 11:32 a.m.

Components fail and repairs are part of the cost of business (or hobbies). The only irreplaceable element is time.

A fast card reader is the best (and IMO, the only) way to download images to your computer. It is not only faster (much faster) than a camera connection, a card reader leaves you free to use your camera and download images at your convenience. A USB2 reader runs at about 10 MB/s, whereas a Firewire 400 reader is typically 30-40 MB/s (twice that for FW800). The time saved really adds up if you have a lot of images to download from a wedding or event.

Stuart Moxham - Finland , Mar 19, 2011; 04:12 p.m.

I use a USB cable that came with the camera.

JDM von Weinberg , Mar 19, 2011; 04:19 p.m.

Card reader +whatever.
refer to Edward for type/choices.

Many are available on eBay these days postpaid for astonishing BIN prices.

Chris Wick , Mar 19, 2011; 07:04 p.m.

I use one of these.....
Works fine; and you can't really argue with the price!

David Henderson , Mar 19, 2011; 07:10 p.m.

Card reader attached to USB hub

D.B. Cooper , Mar 19, 2011; 07:36 p.m.

Integral (SD) or firewire (CF) card reader; drag and drop images into the computer. Easy as pie.

    1   |   2     Next    Last

Back to top

Notify me of Responses