A Site for Photographers by Photographers

What tripod head fits this plate?

Doc Hays , May 26, 2013; 04:43 p.m.

Can anyone point me toward a tripod head that will accommodate this plate?


    1   |   2     Next    Last

Matthew Currie , May 26, 2013; 08:58 p.m.

Judging from the rather distinctive screw, and the "LENS" marking, I think it's a Manfrotto plate, and I think that it goes on a Manfrotto hex plate mount, which actually only engages three of the six sides of a plate at a time.

As far as I know, the Manfrotto hex system is unique in having a hole in the tripod through which a large mounting screw like this one can protrude, and also, as the extra arrow implies, it can be put on backwards. If the measurement from the center of one boss to the center of any neighbor is between 2 1/4 and 2 3/8 inches (my rough quick measurement here) dollars to donuts it's Manfrotto hex.

John A , May 26, 2013; 08:58 p.m.

That is a pretty standard Manfrotto plate. They have a couple of other types but this is the one that has been around a long time and is on most of their tilt pan heads.

John A , May 26, 2013; 09:03 p.m.

Matthew and I cross posted and it is definitely a Manfrotto/Bogen plate (I have one and use it on my wood field camera, as it appears to be here. But I only found one head (quick search) that used this style of plate. http://www.manfrotto.us/3d-super-professional-head The outside of the small plate in the picture fits like the three protrusions on this plate.

Matthew Currie , May 26, 2013; 11:28 p.m.

A couple of older Manfrotto heads took hex plates, including the once very popular 3047 three way head. Used ones seem to be plentiful. I also have an older 3055 ball head that uses it.

Doc Hays , May 27, 2013; 12:34 p.m.

Thanks for the replies! Just ordered a new head to match this plate. Appreciate the help!

Andrew Garrard , May 27, 2013; 02:42 p.m.

This may be a bit late to say, but it appears that you could get one of these and attach it to your head of choice. I've never tried a Manfrotto QR plate adaptor, but the QR clamps of many heads unscrew, and can be replaced. Unfortunately, your "head of choice" doesn't seem to include a Manfrotto 405 gear head, which is something that I might have guessed would be worth a look given that I'm going to guess (by the wood) that you're looking at a QR plate on a field camera.

For my education (and to be nosy), may I ask what it's attached to and what head you went with?

John A , May 27, 2013; 03:37 p.m.

Andrew, I used that adapter for almost 20 years on my studio stand's geared head. It worked great with cameras from MF to 8x10. I never felt it compromised the security over direct mounting to the head itself.

Andrew Garrard , May 27, 2013; 04:35 p.m.

I've just realised that I misunderstood the RC0 (or possibly 625, as it seems to be in the UK). I'd been thinking that it was a replacement clamp, like Kirk or RRS's range of Arca-compatible clamps (among others); I've only just realised that it attaches to the top of a different QR plate. Apologies for the confusion - I'm glad it's worked for John! I see Kirk make this adaptor but backwards (an Arca clamp built into a hex plate). Oddly, I've not found any third party hex clamps, as such; certainly they're not as universal as Arca clamps.

Doc Hays , May 27, 2013; 07:00 p.m.

Andrew -- I went with a Bogen 3047, mainly because it's the first one I was able to find and I need to get a head ASAP. I may purchase a second once I've had time to review my options more carefully. It's for a Deardorff 5x7, by the way.

    1   |   2     Next    Last

Back to top

Notify me of Responses