A Site for Photographers by Photographers

Community > Forums > Leica and Rangefinders > Accessories > Novoflex PRALEI adaptor: What...

Novoflex PRALEI adaptor: What is the 'PRA'?

Niels H. S. Nielsen -- , Jun 15, 2002; 02:37 a.m.

This (see photo) Novoflex adaptor obviously makes it possible to attach Leica screw mount lenses on something -but what? It is not in the current line of Novoflex adaptors, and a Google search did not come up with something useful. Does anyone know?

Novoflex PRALEI


    1   |   2     Next    Last

Bert Keuken , Jun 15, 2002; 03:22 a.m.

Perhaps PRA means Praktica ??

Niels H. S. Nielsen -- , Jun 15, 2002; 03:30 a.m.

Praktica was my first thought, but the only Practica models I know of are SLR's with a distance from mount to film which is far greater than that of LTM. This would convert the LTM lens to a macro lens, but maybe that is the intention?

Oliver S. , Jun 15, 2002; 06:30 a.m.

I guess, yes. Novoflex makes, and made, all kinds of wild accessories, so an adapter to use M39 lenses and lens heads on a Practica bellows wouldn't surprise me. Did you consider e-mailing Novoflex to learn more about it? And please tell us what they say!

And weren't there those Russian SLR lenses that connected to the camera via an M39x1 thread?

Jay . , Jun 15, 2002; 07:47 a.m.

Measure the diameter of the *male* threads. Leica screw is 39mm. Praktica is the same as Pentax, also referred to as Universal Thread: 42mm. It was standard for Novoflex that the 1st part of the code referred to the body type and the second part to the lens (eg. LEINIK=Nikon lens on Leica body) so it should be in this case PRALEI=Leica lens on Praktica body. Your point about the back-focus is valid; however LTM 39mm is also very common for enlarging lenses and these were used frequently as macro lenses on a bellows with 35mm SLR's, so it is possible that's what this adaptor is for. Actual Leica LTM lenses are not really that well corrected for the macro range.

Niels H. S. Nielsen -- , Jun 15, 2002; 03:27 p.m.

Good suggestions, thanks. I mailed Novoflex the question, and I'll update the thread if they answer.

Niels H. S. Nielsen -- , Jun 26, 2002; 10:19 a.m.

Actually it has a bajonet male part! There seem to be something called a 'Praktica Bajonet'. A google search did give some hits this, but nothing useful in English. The bajonet hole should be around 48.5 mm diameter -could it be medium format perhaps?.
I haven't got an answer from Novoflex yet.

Niels H. S. Nielsen -- , Jun 26, 2002; 10:52 a.m.

If I knew how to spell, I would find that 'Praktica Bayonet' gives many hits in english!
Like this one, if you are interested:

Niels H. S. Nielsen -- , Jun 26, 2002; 11:33 a.m.

Do you own a Praktica Bayonet Camera -and do you want the adaptor?

If you own a camera w. Praktica Bayonet, and if you could find use for the adaptor, I'll mail it to you. Drop me a line if you are interested.

Niels H. S. Nielsen -- , Jun 30, 2002; 07:41 a.m.

The adaptor has found a new home.

    1   |   2     Next    Last

Back to top

Notify me of Responses