Kin Yu , Jun 23, 2011; 08:20 p.m.
Thanks for the information. Glad to know that there are still people out there using the M8. However, from the zero responses to your posting, I am wondering if people want even to border with the update due to the relative primitive software/firmware of the M8. (Perhaps this was because the German Software engineers are not as brilliant as the American and Japanese ones? If you ever owned a late model BMW or Mercedes you may know why.)
After a number of tries, here is how I did it using a year-old Mac-mini:
1. Go to the Leica website and click Download on the upper tool bar.
2. Select software/firmware update and select M8 in the subcategory. There should be a whole page of information and update files listed for M8/M8.2. If only the update for V2.005 shows, you are in the wrong place. Close up and try again. May be you logged onto a wrong Leica website.
3. Download, read and print out the Read-me file first.
4. you need to format the SD card in the M8; take the card out and insert it into a card reader connected to your Mac.
5. GO TO THE SAFARI PREFERENCE MANUAL AND CHANGE THE DOWNLOAD FOLDER TO THE SD CARD YOU JUST INSERTED. YOU MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE A NAME FOR IT BUT MINE SHOWED UP AS "NO NAME".
6. Insert the SD card back to your M8. Follow the rest of the instructions on the Read-Me file and you should be able to update the M8 firmware to 2.014 i.e.
I have yet to find out what the "optimize internal processes"m means. May be faster processing, no freezing or brilliant JPG files ?
I was not able to do the update using my Window 7 based laptop.