A Site for Photographers by Photographers

Community > Forums > Medium Format > Printing/Processing > 50 year old b & w 2" x 2"...

Featured Equipment Deals

Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Review Read More

Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Review

The Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD is the first fast ultrawide zoom lens for full frame cameras to offer built-in image stabilization. Read photographer Bob Atkins' in-depth review to learn more...

50 year old b & w 2" x 2" negatives

Mary Ann Badar , Feb 01, 2008; 01:37 p.m.

I have several 30 to 50 year old 2" x 2" black and white negatives that I want to have printed. I have read the suggestions from many of your subscribers as to how to develop them myself. I am now 73 years old with no experience in photograph developing and hesitate to tackle such a task. I would apprecite hearing from anyone who might be interested in printing these for me. I am willing to pay the current fee for such a service. Thank you, Mary Ann Badar nmbadar@comcast.net


JDM von Weinberg , Feb 01, 2008; 02:48 p.m.

If you are close to any photography store that caters to students still shooting film, they can probably either print themselves, or point you to a local hobbyist/student who can print these for you. If they are 2.25 inches as I suppose they may be, then contact prints at the least could be made even if the printers do not have a larger format enlarger.

Others will no doubt point you to some commercial operations that still do what is usually called "medium format" film.

Bob Atkins , Feb 01, 2008; 03:09 p.m.

Any professional photo store should be able to do it or tell you who can in your local area. Wedding photographers still stoot quite a bot of medium format film. Any lab that works with wedding photographers should be able to handle it.

Ric Johnson , Feb 01, 2008; 03:25 p.m.

Mary, I going to email you some other things to this item.

Walter Degroot , Feb 01, 2008; 03:30 p.m.

these negatives are most likely from 12 exp 127 film which is 46mm, just short of 2 inches wide. Since most older photographs were not "cropped closely" as the viewfinder was inexact. a 35mm only enlarger will do 38mm square as your negatives are 38mm square. 35mm is 24x36 ( about 1" x 1 1/2") 127 film if that's what it is is 1 5.8" square. So a 35mm only enlarger would work to make enlargements with only a little cropping.

they could be from a camera that used 620 or 120 film. in that case a "medium format" enlarger is required. but many hobbyists would have such equipment You could try looking up a camera club or ask the local librarian or historical society if there is such a group or such a person near you.

Printing your own is do-able of course, but shipping charges on a used enlarger can be costly. and it's most likely better to have someone do it for you.

Kelly Hughes , Feb 01, 2008; 04:10 p.m.

She's probably not watching responses

I think she's probably not watching for answers, guys. She dropped in with a "here's my question and here's my email address" post. At age 73, I'm guessing it was probably a drop-and-run invite, and the only way she'll see an answer is if you email it to her directly.


John Elder , Feb 01, 2008; 07:32 p.m.

It is not clear from the post that the negatives are developed. Her second sentence refers to development. If they are developed, why not just get good prints from good scans? Which again makes me believe that the negs might need developing.

Russ Britt , Feb 01, 2008; 07:56 p.m.

Even walmart will print med format....they send it out, not in store processing. Its real cheap, about 3 to 4 days, they do a okay job.If the negs are good and you need better prints, just give the negs to a pro lab....simple.

Mary Ann Badar , Feb 01, 2008; 11:28 p.m.

Thanks to all of you for your answers. I will contact my Walmart and the photographer who did our children's wedding pictures.

Paul Emerson , Feb 02, 2008; 01:16 a.m.

Check out this website. The guy develops old film. His thing is processing film found in old cameras but I'm sure he'd help you out.

Back to top

Notify me of Responses