A Site for Photographers by Photographers

Community > Forums > Lighting Equipment and Techniques > Where to buy Frosted...

Featured Equipment Deals

Interview with Environmental Photographer: Peter Essick Read More

Interview with Environmental Photographer: Peter Essick

A conversation with National Geographic photographer, Peter Essick, author of Our Beautiful, Fragile World.

Latest Learning Articles

Featured Member: Ulla Wolk Read More

Featured Member: Ulla Wolk

Photo.net featured member Ulla Wolk talks about portrait photography and her images.

Where to buy Frosted Plexiglass

Allen L , Apr 17, 2007; 02:26 p.m.

Hi, I want to buy a piece of frosted plexiglass (about 3'x4') to use as a background for studio shoots, and maybe as a diffusion panel for firing strobes through sometimes. I'll mainly use it as a background however, lit from behind.

i.e. http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3264340

I'm located in Sacramento, CA, and when I went to my local plastic store they wanted $9.50 per square foot for 1/4" thickness, which came out to about $120.00. I'm a student and would really like to find it for less, and I found it hard to believe that it was that expensive. Are there any cheaper alternatives that are equally effective? Is this unusually expensive?

Thanks for any advice.


Martial Baribault , Apr 17, 2007; 03:38 p.m.

Genuine Plexiglass is ideed very expenmsive ,you should go to a glass/window/door shop , might have more affordable alternatives.

Tim Martin , Apr 17, 2007; 03:49 p.m.

Saw the following technique on a DIY cable channel, but it was used more for interior decorating. Using clear plexiglass (From local/major home center) they sanded one side of it. That scored one side and it became diffused. They used a palm sander I believe. Looked pretty good to me. IF you had a piece of scrap plexiglass to work and see if it would work for you. I don't know how much money you would save by buying clear plexiglass over already frosted. I don't know the forum rules on posting links to other sites, but the project may be on DIY cable channel website. Anyways good luck.

Brian McWeeney , Apr 18, 2007; 11:56 a.m.

Josh, If you are just wanting to light through it like your example, and not use it like a surface, then you could save money just buying diffusion paper. You might have to double the layers to soften the light enough. Look at drafting supply stores for wide vellum paper on rolls or if you can afford it Lee/Rosco diffusion material on rolls. As for your plexiglass dilema, I think your plastic store is a little high! You should be able to get a 4x4 sheet for under a hundred bucks.

Back to top

Notify me of Responses