Peter Blaise Monahon , Dec 05, 2008; 08:30 a.m.
"Best"? What does "best" mean to you? Fast? Works in Linux? Most noise free, or do you plan on using noise reduction software as a separate pass? Accurate to what the camera captured? Free? What does "best" mean to any of us?
For Raw conversions, in order of frequency, I use:
- free http://picasa.com/google.com/ most, and it makes flawless BIG prints (what does "big" mean?!?) up to 17x11 inches on a modern printer with no noise visible but loads of detail.
- free http://www.irfanview.com/ which has a quick (and batch) 1/2 / 1/4 size importer that bypasses de-Bayerizing and all that noise, and makes nice, small web copies, and great contact sheets.
Others suggest these:
- Adobe Camera Raw ACR has a reputation for great flexibility and control, get it in Lightroom or Photoshop,
- though ACR is available separately:
- DxO is capable of also fixing lens faults by lens model number:
There's a new freebie I just played with from StepOK.com:
I can't speak to it's powers yet.
Our compatriots at Dyxum.com have a running list of others:
(off line today?)
SL, what's "not best" for you about the Sony Image Data Suite for Windows - did you know there's a new version released?
September 16, 2008 Sony Image Data Suite for Windows new version released Sony is offering DSLR-A100/A200/A300/A350/A700 users the latest version of α application software, “Sony Image Data Suite” which includes the following software:
* Image Data Converter SR Ver.3.0 Software to view, adjust and save the RAW format still images shot with your camera.
* Image Data Lightbox SR Ver.2.0 Software to view, compare, and rate the RAW/JPEG format still images shot with your camera.
* Remote Camera Control Ver.2.0* Software to control your camera connected to the computer via USB to shoot images or change the settings.
* This software can be used with DSLR-A700 only.
New Functions and Improvements
* Image Data Converter SR Ver.3.0
o Improvement of operability o Higher speed of display o Addition of the peripheral illumination compensation function o Addition/Improvement of the D-range optimizer, etc.
* Image Data Lightbox SR Ver.2.0
o Higher speed of display o Enhanced filtering function
* Remote Camera Control Ver.2.0
o Addition of the "interval timer shooting function"* (for Windows only)
* You can use this function with DSLR-A700 with the firmware updated to Ver.4 from here.
* To activate this function, you need to execute “Interval Shooting Set-up Tool” which is provided here.
Digital SLR camera "α" series:
* DSLR-A100 * DSLR-A200 * DSLR-A300 * DSLR-A350 * DSLR-A700
Supported Operating Systems
* Windows XP SP3* * Windows Vista SP1*
* 64-bit editions and/or Starter are not supported.
Of courese we all can Google serach for [raw converter comparison sony] - 155,000 responses today:
That's my experience. Tell us more about yours.