A Site for Photographers by Photographers

what filters for wedding photography?

esme james , May 18, 2006; 11:05 p.m.

please can you tell me which ones you use, and ones you recommend.

i am especially interested in learning about soft focus and 'warming' filters.

which brands /types are best and if you could let me know how much they cost that would be great. thankyou


    1   |   2     Next    Last

Bob Bernardo - LA area disabled , May 18, 2006; 11:12 p.m.

Need a little more information. Are you shooting with film? What type of cameras?

Tim Corridan - Queen Creek, Arizona , May 18, 2006; 11:14 p.m.

soft focus=i bought a #3 once. wayyy to much effect. i'd go w/ a #1. most people just use PS now. a star filter( or whatever their called) for the candle lit moments. most photographers bags are full enough already, and scince PS is an option......

Nadine Ohara - SF Bay Area/CA , May 18, 2006; 11:23 p.m.

Soft focus--Zeiss Softar. There is nothing like it and no PS action duplicates the actual effect in camera. Close, but not the same. I use #2.

Star filter if you like the starburst effect on candles and such. Not real popular now with PJ style.

Warming filters unnecessary, either film or digital. With film, the lab can control color balance and with digital, you can.

No polarizers unless you are shooting in extremely high glare situations--maybe. ND filters if you need to make your apertures wider outdoors (especially with fill flash).

That's it. Almost everything else can be accomplished with PS.

Nadine Ohara - SF Bay Area/CA , May 18, 2006; 11:47 p.m.

Forgot--the other popular filter in the olden days was a homemade one called a misty. This is where the center is sharp but the edges are soft. This is better done in PS now, where you can contol exactly where the mistiness happens.

Tim Corridan - Queen Creek, Arizona , May 19, 2006; 12:10 a.m.

i had an extra uv filter, so i made a misty. used my wifes (not mine i swear) clear nail polish, leaving a clear circle in center. and nadine is right as usual, trying to use it for anything more than experimenting , ain't cool.

Lauren M. - North Shore, MA , May 19, 2006; 01:26 a.m.

thanks for your answers Nadine, I had just been wondering since I've gone digital if I would use my filters (which are barely used to begin with). I'll keep the star (popular or not, since I already have it) and not even sure on the softening but will consider getting. I guess even with film, all else can be done in ps?

Jerry Litynski , May 19, 2006; 01:47 a.m.

Tiffen has a number of soft focus filters. Easy way to make Grandma look a couple of years younger. If you can, put one soft filter on one lens and switch lenses when you have to use it....you usually don't have time to swap filters on and off at a wedding.

C Jo Gough - Carmel, CA , May 19, 2006; 04:43 a.m.

Softar 1 --thats all I have used for 20 years--nothing really works like that one--not very cheap , however...but no subsitutions

Marc Williams , May 19, 2006; 05:31 a.m.

Softar #1 and #2. As stated, can't be duplicated in PS.

I also use grads even with digital. Probably the most valuable but underused filter for digital or film.

Neutral Density Grads are worth their weight in gold for outdoor work to bring the sky down and pop the clouds more ... especially true for digital with it's shorter tonal range. I also use a Tobacco grad or Sunset Grad with digital to do the same thing while adding a warm tone ... good for morning or afternoon shots.

Lastly the often needed, rarely used Polarizer.

    1   |   2     Next    Last

Back to top

Notify me of Responses